To reset a navien tankless water heater, simply press and hold the reset button until the display screen shows “rst.” Navien tankless water heaters are known for their efficiency and longer lifespan compared to traditional water heaters.
However, like any appliance, they can encounter issues that require troubleshooting. One common problem is the need to reset the unit. This could be necessary after a power outage or if there is an error code on the display screen.
Resetting the unit is a simple process that can be done by following a few steps. By knowing how to reset a navien tankless water heater, homeowners can quickly address any issues that arise, ensuring the unit continues to perform optimally.
Troubleshooting The Navien Tankless Water Heater
Navien tankless water heaters are popularly known for their cost-effectiveness, energy efficiency, and long-term durability. However, sometimes, they may malfunction, and you might experience issues, such as no hot water, low water pressure, or error codes. Don’t despair when this happens; there are quick and easy fixes to most issues.
In this post, we will guide you through troubleshooting your navien tankless water heater.
Identify The Error Code Displayed On The Water Heater
When your navien tankless water heater experiences a system error, it displays an error code on the front panel. Before you troubleshoot, you need to identify the error code. Follow these steps:
- Locate the front panel of your navien tankless water heater.
- Press the power button, and the error code will display.
- Take note of the error code.
Understanding The Meaning Of The Error Code
The next step is to find out what the error code means. This will help you determine what’s not working correctly and how to fix the issue. Below are common error codes that you may encounter when using navien tankless water heaters:
- Error code 001: This indicates a low gas supply or that the gas pressure is too low.
- Error code 003: This error results from an ignition failure due to an accumulation of gas in the combustion chamber. It mostly happens in areas with high altitudes.
- Error code 007: This code means that the circulation pump is not working.
- Error code 038: This indicates that the flow sensor has malfunctioned and is not sensing the water flow correctly.
Common Issues And Fixes For Specific Error Codes (E.G. Error Code 001, 003, 007, Etc.)
- Error code 001: Ensure the gas valve is open and that there’s enough supply from the gas meter. Re-ignite the unit if necessary, if the error code persists, call a professional plumber.
- Error code 003: Check the altitude setting and reset it according to the user manual instructions. Also, clean the combustion chamber to get rid of any gas accumulation. Call a professional plumber if the error code still persists.
- Error code 007: Confirm that the circulation pump is correctly installed, and there’s no air in the pipes. Call a professional plumber for help if the error code persists.
- Error code 038: Turn off the unit and disconnect from electricity, then remove the flow sensor from the water inlet side and clean it with a soft brush. Re-connect the sensor and turn the unit back on. If the error persists, call a professional plumber.
Troubleshooting Steps For Other Issues Such As No Hot Water Or Low Water Pressure
- No hot water issues: Check the power supply and ensure the unit is properly connected to a power source. Ensure the gas supply is working correctly and there’s no buildup in the unit. Check the water filter and the inlet water valve to ensure there’s enough water supply. If the issue persists, call a professional plumber.
- Low water pressure issues: Check the water inlet valve and the water filter to ensure they are not blocked or clogged. Set the water pressure at a minimum of 15 psi. Also, check if the fan motor is functioning correctly or not. If you are still experiencing low water pressure after taking these steps, call a professional plumber.
By following these simple troubleshooting steps, you can reset your navien tankless water heater quickly and easily and have it back in tip-top shape in no time. Remember, it’s always helpful to understand the error codes and their meanings before you attempt troubleshooting.
When in doubt, always consult a professional plumber to avoid any further complications.
Navien Tankless Water Heater Resetting Process
Ensuring Safety Measures Before Resetting The Water Heater
Before starting the navien tankless water heater resetting process, follow these safety measures:
- Turn off the power supply to the water heater and unplug it from the electrical outlet to avoid electric shock.
- Turn off the gas supply to the water heater to prevent a potential hazard.
- Wait for the water heater to cool down before proceeding with the reset process.
Simple Reset Process For Navien Tankless Water Heater
The navien tankless water heater resetting process is simple and easy to follow. These are the basic steps:
- Turn off the power supply to the water heater.
- Turn off the hot and cold water valves.
- Press the two buttons on the front panel of the water heater simultaneously.
- Hold down the buttons for a few seconds and release them simultaneously.
- Turn on the hot and cold water valves and wait for the water heater to restart.
Step-By-Step Instructions To Reset The Navien Tankless Water Heater
To reset the navien tankless water heater, follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Turn off the electrical and gas supply to the water heater.
- Locate the reset button near the bottom of the water heater.
- Press and hold the reset button for three seconds.
- Release the reset button and wait for the water heater to restart.
Resetting The Water Heater Using The Remote Control
If your navien tankless water heater comes with a remote control, the reset process can be even more straightforward. Follow these steps:
- Press the power button on the remote control to turn off the water heater.
- Press the up arrow, down arrow, and power buttons simultaneously for three seconds.
- Release the buttons and wait for the water heater to restart.
Tips For Avoiding A Reset In The Future
While resetting your navien tankless water heater is easy, it’s always better to avoid needing to reset it in the first place. Here are some helpful tips:
- Regularly maintain your water heater by cleaning the burners and filter.
- Check for any leaks or damages to the water heater.
- Avoid running hot water for extended periods.
- Keep the water heater at a consistent temperature to avoid overheating.
- Hire a professional to install the water heater to ensure it’s done correctly.
By following these tips, you can avoid the need to reset your navien tankless water heater in the future.
Regular Maintenance Of Navien Tankless Water Heater
Importance Of Regular Maintenance To Prevent The Need For Resetting
Regular maintenance is the key to ensuring that your navien tankless water heater operates optimally without any need for resetting. Here’s why:
- Build-up of mineral deposits: Mineral deposits can accumulate inside the heater, and if left to accumulate, they can block the flow of water and reduce your heater’s efficiency. Regular maintenance gets rid of these deposits and ensures your heater performs optimally.
- Increased efficiency: With routine maintenance, your heater can efficiently convert energy to heat, which means you end up saving on energy costs.
- Overall increased lifespan: Regular maintenance can help identify and fix any issues before they worsen, which can extend the lifespan of your navien tankless water heater.
Maintenance Activities Required For Proper Functioning Of The Water Heater
Regular maintenance of your navien tankless water heater involves the following activities:
- Flushing: Regular flushing of your tankless water heater helps remove mineral buildup and other debris that may clog the system and reduce its efficiency. Flushing is typically recommended every six months.
- Inspection of the heat exchanger: Inspecting the heat exchanger helps ensure that it’s in good condition and functioning optimally.
- Replacement of air filters: Replacing air filters helps to keep the heater clean and functioning as it should.
Frequency Of Visits By A Professional For Maintenance Purposes
While you can perform some maintenance tasks yourself, it’s best to consult a professional to ensure your navien tankless water heater functions optimally year-round. Consider scheduling maintenance appointments with a professional service technician at least once a year. However, other factors, such as the hardness of your water, may require more frequent visits.
Potential Impact Of Lack Of Maintenance
The lack of routine maintenance can be detrimental to your navien tankless water heater’s performance, longevity, and efficiency. Here’s what can happen if you neglect to maintain your heater:
- Reduced efficiency: Mineral deposits can build up, causing your heater to work harder to achieve the desired water temperature, which results in higher energy bills.
- Reduced lifespan: Over time, mineral buildup can cause significant damage to your heater, requiring costly repairs or a complete replacement.
- Safety risks: Neglecting your heater can also lead to safety hazards, including carbon monoxide poisoning, leaks, and fires.
Regular maintenance is critical to preventing the need for resetting your navien tankless water heater. By performing routine maintenance, you can extend the heater’s lifespan, increase its efficiency, and reduce energy bills while avoiding safety hazards. Remember to consult a professional service technician for the best results and the longevity of your navien tankless water heater.
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Reset Navien Tankless Water Heater
How Do I Reset My Navien Tankless Water Heater?
To reset the navien tankless water heater, turn off the power and disconnect any wires connected to it. Wait for 30 seconds, then reconnect the wires and turn the power back on.
Why Is My Navien Tankless Water Heater Not Working?
The most common reasons for a navien tankless water heater to stop working are insufficient gas supply, malfunctioning thermistors, or a clogged air filter. Check these components to identify the issue.
What Is The Default Temperature Setting For A Navien Tankless Water Heater?
The default temperature setting for a navien tankless water heater is 120°f. You may adjust the temperature setting by following the manufacturer’s instructions provided in the user manual.
How Often Should I Flush My Navien Tankless Water Heater?
It is recommended that you flush your navien tankless water heater once a year to ensure proper functioning and efficiency. If you notice a decrease in hot water output, then flushing the system may be necessary more frequently.
What Causes A Navien Tankless Water Heater To Leak?
A navien tankless water heater may leak due to a loose connection, damaged o-rings, or a faulty internal component. If you notice a leak, it is important to turn off the power and water supply to prevent further damage and contact a professional plumber.
Resetting your navien tankless water heater may seem daunting, but with our step-by-step guide, you can do it with ease. During the process, you will learn how to diagnose, troubleshoot, and rectify any issues that may arise. Owning a navien tankless water heater means that you are environmentally conscious and appreciate the benefits of efficiency.
Performing regular maintenance and resetting when required will prolong the life of your water heater, save you money, and keep your hot water running smoothly. By following the instructions in this guide, you can reset your navien tankless water heater with confidence, knowing that you are capable and equipped with the knowledge to troubleshoot any problems.
Maintaining your water heater is essential, and resetting it when necessary is a simple yet critical piece of ownership.